Historical Society

A color postcard of First Congregational Church of Weathersfield and Civil War Monument in the grove at Weathersfield Center, across the road from the Dan Foster House Museum. Services are held upstairs throughout the summer months, as well as (downstairs) the Semi-Annual August Frippery tag sale, the major Historical Society's fundraising event.


About the Society
The Weathersfield Historical Society was founded in 1951, to preserve the history of our Town, both in the form of artifacts and in written records.

Our museum, the Reverend Dan Foster House, is located on the Weathersfield Center Road in the Weathersfield Center Historic District, across the road from the historic Weathersfield Meeting House and First Congregational Church.
dfosterhouse HI-RES_3627

The house was begun during the Revolutionary War and completed in sections dating 1785 through 1825. The 18th-century barn was recently reconstructed.

With the addition of the old forge in 1972, the complex houses an extensive collection of historical items, including Civil War memorabilia, a children's school room, tools, clothing and textiles, a library with archival photos and genealogies, and the last panther killed in Weathersfield (1867).

2011:  We celebrated the 250th anniversary of the granting of the charter to the Town of Weathersfield.

Hours for the Rev. Dan Foster House: For visiting hours or to schedule a visit, please contact Ellen Clattenburg, Curator, at  ellen.clattenburg@gmail.com or call 263-5505 (unfortunately no answering machine). Admission is free, but donations are appreciated. In addition to our permanent collection, there are special exhibits during the summer.

Additional gifts of historic Weathersfield materials are always welcome. Curator, Ellen Clattenburg, should be contacted by potential donors at [802] 263-5055, or write the society at the PO Box below.

Our research library, on the lower level of the new barn at the Museum, houses our wonderful collection of old Weathersfield photographs as well as primary source material on Weathersfield families and Vermont history. Old records of the First Congregational Church are housed here, also. For pictures and more information on the History of the Town, click here Weathersfield History.

For an archive of Historical Photos, click here

Museum Video on Vermont's Loch Ness Monster

Weathersfield Historical Society Museum

The Reverend Dan Foster House
802-263-5230 (June to August) 
2656 Weathersfield Center Road, Weathersfield, VT
Mailing Address:PO Box 126, Perkinsville, VT 05151


President  Ginger Wimberg, 263-5626 Archivist  Patti Arrison
Vice-President  Alicia Jenks House Chair  Bob Holtorf
Secretary   Ellen Clattenburg Publications Publicity Sally Harris

Genealogist Becky Tucker
Treasurer and Membership Chair: Rika Henderson

Past President  Alison Roth

Curator  Ellen Clattenburg  Assistant Curator deForest Bearse
Program Committee   Ellen Clattenburg, Chair   

Board of Governors
Rika Henderson and John Waite 2016-2019
Tom Leach and deForest Bearse 2017-2020
Lisa Curry Mair and Rodney Spaulding 2018-2021

Some of the publications offered by the Society include:

  • Two volume town history by John Hurd, Weathersfield Century One and Weathersfield Century Two;
  • Series of historic postcards;
  • Videos - A Crash Course in the History of WeathersfieldWeathersfield Meetinghouse Rebuilt, (the story of the rebuilding of the Weathersfield Center Meeting House following the 1985 fire), and A Lot of Water Over the Dam (the story of the destruction of Lower Perkinsville for the North Springfield Flood Control Project in 1958 - 1960).
  • Two books by Ernest W. Butterfield: Weathersfield Burying Ground  and A Record of Inhabitants Weathersfield 1760-1813  
  • Weathersfield cookbook, Spider Bread, Cider Pie, & Rhubarb Wine, a collection of local recipes, past and present
  • Winnie Perkins Remembers, memories and old photos from notebooks of Miss Perkins between 1950 and 1970
  • Many more!

For a printable order form of all Publications, click here

 All of the Society's publications may be borrowed from the Weathersfield Proctor Library in Ascutney.

The Weathersfield Historical Society works with the schools to encourage an interest in, and an appreciation of, our common history.

Activities include community programs, pot luck suppers, and history hikes scheduled throughout the year.

Membership is open to everyone for $10.00 per year. 
A thrice yearly Newsletter is included in a membership, as well as the Annual Report. 
Specific information on lifetime and other types of memberships can be obtained by writing 
Membership Chair and Treasurer Rika Henderson, PO Box 126, Weathersfield,  VT 05151.
We are grateful to the taxpayers of the Town of Weathersfield for accepting us as a tax exempt organization.


Historical Society Postcards

WHS postcards sell for 50 cents each at the Dan Foster House, Weatthersfield Proctor Library, or by mail from PO Box 126, Perkinsville, VT 05151.


Downer's Hotel   005

Downer's Hotel & Dance Hall ("Mecca of Pleasure Seekers") Weathersfield, Vermont.
Built 1831, popular for sleighing parties, dancing, picnics, and politics, until it burned in 1916; also home of the Weathersfield Panther, shot nearby and stuffed in 1867, rescued and now at the Weathersfield Historical Society's Dan Foster House, Weathersfield Center.

Ascutney Union Church   002

Ascutney Union Church, Weathersfield Vermont.
Built in 1846. A 1901 photograph by James Wilson Green, father of renowned photographer Newell Green. At left is Newell's mother, Julia Newell Green, at right is her neice, Cora Dartt, with the 6 month old Newell in the carriage.
Old Covered Bridge   006

Old 600-foot covered bridge across the Connecticut River between Ascutney and Claremont, New Hampshire. 
Built in 1837, replacing Sumner’s Ferry, chartered at this location in 1784; once one of eleven covered bridges in Weathersfield, destroyed by flood in 1902, replaced by another ferry, and then by a series of highway bridges.

P'ville Store _2   003

Old post office and stage stop, Perkinsville, Vermont.
Founded in 1837, used to finction as feed and supply store, then an all-purpose general store and gathering place for conversation and public notices.

Ascutney Store   004

"Martin's Store and Residence, Ascutneyville, Vermont."

Operated for many years as the Ascutney Country Store, next to the present-day post office which was once Clarence Martin's Studebaker dealership. The "residence" now houses Claire Murray Rugs.
Woods' house postcard_355ppi

Wood's Cider Mill. 

This 1910 photo shows the cleaning-up process after sugaring at what was then the Aldrich farmhouse. The Aldrich/Wood family has been making maple syrup here since the early 1800s, and apple cider, cider jelly, and boiled cider since 1882.
Old Stoughton Farm   001

The old Stoughton Homestead, Weathersfield Vermont. 

Built by prominent pioneer settler, Nathaniel Stoughton in 1789, the home was moved in 1959 by his great great grandson Joseph Potwin Stoughton, to avoid destruction from a flood control project, to its present location on Route 131. Shown are Joe Stoughton's aunt, uncle, father, grandfather and grandmother.


Important Links for Historic Preservation in Vermont
Preservation Trust of Vermont

get notifications

stay up to date with our notifications. sign up now.
sign up for notifications